This is the fifth blog on Federal Government Funding Initiatives for 2020.
Here are the next excerpts from the Australian Government Department for Infrastructure, Transport, Cities and Regional Development for 2020.
Online Teaching and Learning Courses—support mathematics and phonics
The Australian Government will provide $9.5 million over four years from 2019-20 to strengthen the capacity of teachers across Australia to teach mathematics and phonics through freely available, nationally coordinated, high quality professional learning and resources. This initiative will deliver:
- Mathematics Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) for teachers of Foundation to Year 10 students, provide supporting face-to-face professional learning and a repository of teaching and learning resources through an online Mathematics Hub. It aims to inspire Australian school students to learn mathematics and equip them to become our future mathematical and technological innovators.
- Online learning and teaching resources to support phonics education for the early years of school. This initiative will provide teachers with ready access to teaching and formative assessment resources to ensure the students who need the most support to learn to read get the help they need.
The online courses and resources will be freely available to all Australian teachers and students, with resources being readily accessible to those living in rural and remote locations, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The mathematics and phonics online resources are designed to support teachers and provide professional learning opportunities.
Ed Consult has written to the Federal Minister for Education Hon Dan Tehan, to enquire where these resources can be found and if home educators are able to utilise these opportunities too. Stay tuned to find out more when a reply is received. This may take many months though.
See a list of other blogs in this series as they are published:
- Blog #1 Extension of Preschool Funding, The Smith Family School Student Support, Arts Education.
- Blog #2 Increase HELP loan limit for Aviation Courses, Strengthening Higher Education in Regional Australia, Australian Apprenticeships—increased support
- Blog #3 Skills Package – Delivering skills for today and tomorrow, National School Reform Agreement—Commonwealth contribution to national policy initiatives.
- Blog #4 National School Reform Agreement, Review of the Socio‑Economic Status, School Funding – Additional support
Follow this blog to find out about other initiatives that are being rolled out by the Federal Government in 2020. Perhaps it is time to start asking for a piece of the pie?
Ed Consult. Supporting Home Educators Across Australia.