This is a reminder for the parents of Australian Home Educated Students that they along with their Distance Education peers can access the nbn Sky Muster Education Port for internet access with up to 3 dedicated 50G download limit separate from the household connection.
It is a big thank you to the Isolated Children’s Parents’ Association for pushing for this equity of access.
This is a huge win for remote home educators. In the past, families would be sharing, on average, 20G per month with speeds under 1mpps on their satellite NBN. This would place a great deal of difficulty of trying to allocate the download resources for all the family’s needs.
Sky Muster Education Ports provide internet access for students without access to wired NBN, which is more expensive, and has only a limited download. The Education Port is only available on the NBN Sky Muster satellite service.
Home Education Students (Pre K -12) who have registered with their State Education Department and are in receipt of the Federal Government’s Geographically Isolated AIC Allowance, may now apply to a Retail (Internet) Service Provider for access to the NBN Sky Muster Education Port.
Equally, Students (Pre K -12) who have a medical condition and are in receipt of the Medical AIC Allowance living in an NBN Sky Muster designated area, may now also apply to a Retail (Internet) Service Provider (RSP) for access too.
Stay tuned for more information on access for other regional home educators. And viewers, please do let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any changes to this scheme.
Here are some details:
1. Student’s Home Education registration and AIC status will be verified as part of the approval process. Regular audits will be conducted to confirm the status of Students.
2. It is the Parent’s / Carer’s responsibility to advise RSPs when Students complete their education or change their status e.g. move to Distance Education or into non-home based education.
3. Students who have been approved for access to the Education port are allocated 50 Gigs per month. That can be used at any time of the day for Education purposes.
4. Up to 3 students (50 Gigs each) can be connected as standard. 1 Student is approx. $40 – 50 per month, 2 Students are approx. $70 per month, 3 Students are approx. $90 per month. Check the pricing with the individual RSPs as they vary.
5. If there are more than 3 students at a site, special arrangements will be made to accommodate them. This may alter how the tariff is charged.
6. If the school room is in a house with an existing Sky Muster service, the Education port will be attached to that service. If the School House is remote from the house, then a standalone Sky Muster service could be provided at that location. It can have a Standard + Education service or just an Education service.
You cannot have 2 Sky Muster services on the same building.
7. Depending on the number of Students and the configuration of the internet installation, it may be necessary to purchase a Router to connect Student devices to the Sky Muster service.
8. All costs associated with the Education Port are the responsibility of the parents / carers.
For more details about this scheme, please see the information including web links for 6 Rural Service Providers (RSP) who sell the Education Port.
- SkyMesh has Education Port Plans here
- Activ8Me has Education Port Plans
- Harbour IT has Education Port plans here
- ANT has Education Port Plans here
- Clear Networks has Education Port Plans here (click on the EDUCATION Tab)
- Reachnet has Education Port Plans here
For some general information from the launch of the NBN Sky Muster Education Port click here
Ed Consult. Supporting Home Educators Across Australia.